Saturday, April 26, 2014

The Lie the Church Told Me

Read this post at Pitts Fitness new page

I grew up in little small churches.  By small it means I was related to over half the congregation.  There was an expression that was tossed around like the horseshoes at a church picnic, "I am just fat and happy."  With that expression we would chew on another piece of fried chicken chased down by some cobbler and homemade ice cream.  All in the name of fellowship!


I understand the psychology of food and beverage and the comfort it allows and community it creates.  I also understand the greater mission of the church of reaching lost people.  I am not criticizing the method.  I am sure a scoop of ice cream helped melt the hearts of many.

My rub is with the above expression and held belief by so many in the church - "fat and happy".  That might be one of those ironic statements like "jumbo shrimp" that are cute quips, but don't make a whole lot of sense.  Here is my challenge, if we are to spend our lives spreading the good news of the gospel why would we intentionally sabotage the longevity of our mission with self induced sickness.

Obesity has been linked to over 70 diseases faced in the United States.  Which means that many of the illness that we face are completely preventable.  The CDC reports that obesity has been linked to reduced worker productivity and chronic absence from work.

So here is my logical right brain that floods in like a chocolate fountain past my creative left brain -- if we lived healthier physically as followers of Christ we could 1) live longer lives, therefore giving us a more time on this Earth to love people to Christ; 2) I believe (and just opinion) show a better example of our faith.  Let's face it, we say not to judge a book by it's cover, but people look at the cover long before they read the pages.  This is not a statement on physical beauty as much as it is a statement on appearance and the perception of others. 3) Be more productive with the time we are given.

Here are the benefits of exercise as it relates to our faith.  One exercise makes you feel better.  The God of the universe designed your body so that as you exercise a chemical is released in your brain to make you feel accomplished and happy.  Often referred to as a "runners high".  We got drugs in our body God put there.  We just have to sweat a little to experience that euphoric feeling of happiness. Why would you not want the feeling?

Two, exercise is a community thing.  Fitness is often done in groups and in church we love our groups - small groups, large groups, mom's groups, men's groups, singles groups - we typically have a group for it.  Fitness can be a and should community based event that brings people together.

Third, living a physically healthy life affects you inside and out.  Oftentimes, a negative self image or self perception is derived from outward physical appearance.  One of the emotional byproducts of weight loss is self confidence.  It may be a reach, but people who are more comfortable and confident seem to me to be more fulfilled.  They seem willing to tackle task, step into their gifts and callings placed on them by God.  Maybe it's just me but what if exercise cause people to exercise their gifts?

Andy Stanley in a leadership podcast addressed health and fitness to his audience this way "you can either tell your family 'I am going to take care of me now or you can tell your family you are going to take care of me later.'"

Remember those small churches I grew up in, well there was a traveling minister who sang and preached.  While the individual will remain nameless his ministry brand was build around his obesity, it was right there in the name.  As he sang for 30 to 40 minutes then preached for another 40 he sweated profusely.  At times he seemed to struggle to have enough air and I feared he was going to have a heart attack right there on stage.  (It was a Pentecostal church, we would just laid hands on him and pray for his resurrection).  But mostly it saddened me.  I believe his heart was in the right place but eventually his body was not going to be able to keep up.

The cause of Christ is great.  We would not send a soldier into battle without making sure they were fit to fight.  So why then as soldiers in God's army is it okay to not be physically ready for the cause?  I am not so sure God's design is for us to be "fat and happy" I guess that was just the lie the church told me.

I would love to hear your comments below.

6 comments:

  1. Considering there are many admonitions to avoid gluttony in the Bible, I agree with you that it's not God's design for us to be "fat and happy" due to consuming large quantities of food we know isn't healthy for us! I also have concern about the other end of this spectrum. I have been encountering more and more friends who are on one new diet or another, and from reading their blogs and FB posts, it seems to me that they're more or less starting to worship their food and even going so far as to chastise others who they deem "not as healthy as they are." I think we need a few more people like you, encouraging health through moderating our habits!! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is tough place. Healthy should be our focus not necessarily numbers on a scale. It has been a personal challenge for me.

      Delete
  2. Completely agree! Over-indulging in anything is sin at the heart. Relying on food for comfort and happiness is at it's core idolatry. It seems gluttony is one of those accepted sins that is overlooked. According to scripture sin is sin, so why are we ok with this one? And the church often perpetuates it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I agree, we have looked the other way on the overeating.

      Delete
  3. This resounded with me but in a slightly different way. My churches growing up were not very social i.e we only got together for food related events about 5 times a year. But there was the message that our eyes should be fixed on the Lord not on worldly things like clothes, looks body. Unfortunately I was overweight and got more so and was celebrated as the good girl while my thinner, prettier sisters, cousins and friends would be punished and beaten for talking to boys and going out with them, people were "read out" of the congregation etc. Therefore fat = holy = godly = stay out of trouble. Now almost 40 my parents are hurt and disappointed and want me to be thin, sexy and go get a hubby and have babies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To the writer of this post, let me apologize on behalf of the entire body of Christ! It is one thing to be okay with being obese and not healthy. It is an entire other to punish those who chose to be.

      I am not saying that we should not practice modesty and be honorable with our bodies. We should. I think it honors God when we do. The passage of scripture says to "love the Lord your God with your heart, soul, mind and BODY." I have read that new the past few years that it includes treating my body like a temple.

      My hope is that you find joy and hope. My prayer is that you begin your journey of becoming a healthier you. And I want to extend a hand to help. Feel free to friend me or email my personal account -- coachjeffpitts@beachbodycoach.com

      Delete