Saturday, April 19, 2014

* (the asterisk)

In the annals of sports history are *s.

They wanted to put one next to Roger Maris' 61 homeruns.

I would like to put one next to Barry Bonds 762 (for obvious reasons).

The asterisk is used to indicate that the record is somehow tainted by circumstance.  That something about that record is invalid or corrupt. (Hence my disdain for Barry Bonds 762 home runs).

I think in our journeys we place an asterisk by a lot of things.

"Well that one pound was just water weight." *
"It's easy to lose weight the first week."*
"It is only a few pounds." *

I think we are the biggest asteriskers of ourselves.  Instead of celebrating our successes, we find ways to discredit them.  Instead of recognizing ourselves for staying disciplined with our nutrition and fitness, we somehow consider our results tainted.

If you have lost 1 pound this week or 5 pounds this week and have done it the right way (fitness + nutrition), then celebrate that.  Don't hang an * on it with some lame excuse.  Feel good about the work you put in.  Raise your hands victorious like an Olympic champion (who tested negative for Perfomance Enhancing Drugs).

Don't * you results in the record of your success.  Whatever level of success you achieved you deserve it!

2 comments:

  1. I love this. My best friend and I started a weight loss journey in January. Me, I had 26 pounds to lose. She probably had around 140 to lose. I have list 9 so far and she's lost over 40. I feel myself downplaying my accomplishment. She's lost over 40. I'm going to try to be satisfied with each success. Good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nine pounds is outstanding! I posted a blog some time back about how to measure success. Take a look at it. I would love to hear your thoughts.
      http://teamhopedelivered.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-measure-of-success.html

      Delete